Friday, May 8, 2009

Frugal Friday

Today's Frugal Friday post is regarding clothes. The Princess was accepted into a magnet elementary school that requires that the students wear uniforms, with the logo of the school embroidered on the clothing. I will admit that I was kinda excited about this, because I never had to wear uniforms and I think its super cute, as well as easy to put together outfits! However, I knew they are very expensive. Her new school had a Uniform Resale this week, selling gently used uniforms from other students/parents. My main goal at this sale was to get jumpers, because Cadence loves to wear dresses and when you add leggings, she can wear jumpers year round. I left that sale with the biggest smile on my face, I cleaned up! I had $60 to spend and was hoping to get a decent amount of items and then pick up the rest at some resale shops that might have them, and possibly only have a few items to by new and pay to get embroidered. But, I did so well, that I won't have to buy anything, except some shirts to wear under her jumpers. For $60, I got:
6 jumpers
7 polo shirts (long & short sleeve)
2 skirts
1 pair of khakis
*I did have a picture of everything, but the computer is being dumb.
And with one exception, everything I got is already embroidered! I am unbelievably excited. I save more money than I can even imagine. Hopefully most of this will last the whole Kindergarten year, and then I can sell them in the resale next year.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been cleaning stuff out of the house more often, especially clothes thanks to nicer weather. Most of my kids' clothes are in pretty good condition. I very easily could have consigned them, or sold them in the JBF sale, like I have before. However, I decided to give all of their things to friends with children who could use them. Honestly, most stuff going out of my house goes to Goodwill, or a Pregnancy Resource Center, but usually the nice items I sale in a garage sale. For some reason, I just did not feel like holding on to the stuff, and it was really weighing on my heart to give to others, instead of making money from it. So, last week I have a bunch of stuff to a friend who is pregnant with a boy (and already have another 3 sacks for her!) and have been getting stuff ready for another friend with a 3 year old daughter. And guess what? This week, I was gifted with a huge box full of clothes for Henry, and just today my neighbor (who buys only name brands!) gave me 2 trash bags full of almost brand new clothes for Cadence! I was super excited and incredibly grateful and was further reminded that what you give, you get back!

I know this post wasn't really full of tips, but I firmly believe that if you give, you will get back, so let that be my tip! And buy uniforms used!

No comments: