Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Medicine

We were sent home early from school yesterday because Cadence was crying and really in pain saying her ear hurt. The doctor confirmed that she had a double ear infection and needed 10 days of amoxicillin. Now, on a regular day, KK takes medicine twice a day, Claritin liquid in the morning and a chewable Singular before bed, due to her awful allergies. Medicine is no biggie to her. Except when she feels bad. I spent 30 minutes before the doctor yesterday afternoon trying to get her to take Ibuprofen to help her feel better, only to end up with it all over me and the couch. She never took it. I have spent the last ten minutes this morning trying to get her to take the amoxicillin, with even worse luck. And now we are both frustrated and angry. I called my mom for advice (since as a child I had ear infections as much a most children have a runny nose and had to take amoxicillin all the time) and basically my only options are to force the medicine down her. Great. I was looking forward to a day of cuddling with her, resting, and ending the day with her feeling much better. Now she is in her bed, probably asleep, and I am in the office trying to figure out what to do. Why is it when she really needs the medicine, she won't take? There is no reasoning with a 3 year old.

No comments: